Monday, July 19, 2010

Little reminders

God is everywhere.  You don't have to look far to see His hand at work all around us.  He is in the beauty of our creation, a sunset, a rainbow, a smile.  He is in the skills and abilities of the people around us.  He is in the loving words and hugs of friends and family.  And sometimes He is in the stranger that helps us when we are stranded.

Yesterday morning was my first Sunday back singing at church since the baby has been born.  I was very excited.  I love to sing.  And more than that I love to worship God and encourage people to do the same.  It is one of my greatest passions.  I had gotten up early and decided to take my two oldest with me so Michael would only have two children that he would have to get ready.  I was running a little behind and couldn't find my cell phone, so I left without it, telling Michael to call me on a friends phone if he needed me.  We got in the car and headed to church.  I decided to go the back way through a neighborhood rather than taking the main road.  As I get into the neighborhood I feel the car start to sputter.  I look down and realize that the car is on empty.  I started contemplating turning around to try to get to a gas station but as I roled through the stop sign the car died.  My heart sunk because I was going to be late for our run-through.  It was at that point I realized I had left home without my cell phone.  Well, crap!  Not good!  Bella suggested that I go to the house that we were parked in front of.  As I approached the door I prayed that someone would be home, that they would not have children, that they would be awake.  I knocked on the door and around the corner comes this little elderly woman in her nightgown.  I mouth to her, "I am so sorry".  She comes to the door and I explain to her what happened and ask if I can use her phone.  As I walk into her house, it dawns on me that  I don't know my husbands new cell phone number.  Well crap!  Now what!  So I decide to try my cell phone thinking he will hear it.  Nope!  So, she suggests that her husband can take me to the gas station to get some gas in the gas can.  Another "oh crap" moment.  I had dinner at a friends house the night before and left my purse so I have no money.  As this point I start thinking that this woman is going to think I am crazy or that I am going to rob her or something.  I sit down on her couch to brainstorm while she gets her husband.  He comes in and suggests that he might have some gas in his gas can.  Low and behold a few minutes later I see him walking to the car with a gas can.  During those few minutes with this woman I learned that they go to a nearby church and that she has played the piano for them for 30 years.  She was so proud to show me her plaque that she had recieved in honor of her service at the church.  I asked her for prayer for my husband's job and our family.  She hugged me and I was on my way to church.  I got back in the car and my oldest said, "Momma, God showed up!"  I know, baby, He sure did!  

The story in the bible that jumped out at me later that morning was the story of Moses as he is leading the people through the wilderness.  He provided manna for them and told them to only gather enough for the day, any more than that would rot by the next day.  Funny thing is they even tested God in that tried to store up but it didn't work.  That morning God provided manna for me and the kids.  He didn't fill up my tank, He gave me just what I NEEDED to get me to church.  Thank you, God, for reminding me that you are there and that my family and I will be taken care of.  Amen!

No comments:

My Little Blessings

  • Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
  • Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker