Tuesday, September 09, 2008

JACK OF ALL TRADES-WITH A PURPOSE

Live like noone else...Gazelle-like intensity...
These are two phrases that you will hear if you listen to Dave Ramsey. Michael and I just completed Dave Ramsey's 13-week bible study called Financial Peace University. We are ferociously trying to complete Baby Steps #1 and #2, which are getting $1000 in an Emergency Fund. This covers the little emergencies of life that seem to stress us because we haven't budgeted for them in our regular budget, such as a blown tire, a new water pump on the car, a broken arm, a kidney stone, etc. After that is done then Baby Step #2 is pay off debt. That is where the living like noone else comes in. I often think that I am crazy but in this case crazy is going to be good. I am tired of living like everyone else, racking up debt and just paying the minimum balances that never get the balance down. God says in His word that "the borrower is a slave to the lender". I am tired of being a slave!!!! So, Michael and I are getting intense with our debt snowball. About a month ago I started keeping a little girl who is 3 1/2, but that is only 2 days a week. So, I started applying for jobs that I could work in the evening and on the weekends. Starbucks, Target, waitress jobs, and retail stores. Well, this weekend I applied at the Disney Store and got the job. I start on the 20th and will be working nights and weekends. Then last night I interviewed with a couple who has a 5 week old baby girl. They asked if I could keep her 2 days a week. So, I start tomorrow with that. Am I crazy? Definitely, maybe. But, it is with a purpose...to put every penny I make towards our debt and get out of this life of slavery. I am angry!!! Although not at the future but at the past. We got ourselves into the mess but I refuse to stay here any longer than I have to. 2008 is the Year of the Finances in the Smith household, we will be transformed by the renewing of our minds. I ask all of you who read this to keep us in your prayers, because there are days when this is very difficult. I hate that I will be giving up books and prayers with my kids at night and fun weekends with the family, but I hate even more knowing that as the banks get rich and build bigger, fancier buildings and my future house is getting smaller and smaller. D-O-N-E!!! I AM DONE!!!

3 comments:

Andi and Michael said...

Wow! You will definitely be tired and in need of a few red bulls. Nothing like trying to pay it all down - whatever the cost. Hopefully it will not be for long.

Kim and JD said...

Wow, good luck! :)

The Craftypigs said...

Congratulations! I wish you were contagious....I'd do just about anythings to catch that tenacity. I too have been filling out job applications for the very same reason.

My Little Blessings

  • Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
  • Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker