Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tonsillectomy- Day 1

Today is the big day. We got up at 6am and left to go to the hospital. We had to be there at 7am to register and start prepping him. On the way to the hospital he started crying and saying, "I want to go home. I don't feel good about this." This doesn't sit well with me because I have heard stories about people getting ready to do something and they have a "bad feeling". They decide not to get on the plane and the plane crashes, they have a bad feeling about going into work so they don't go and two planes hit the World Trade Center, etc. There are plenty of stories about stuff like that so when my son had his "bad feeling" I immediately started praying. "Lord, if Micah's bad feeling is something, then give me the feeling too, if it is just fear, then give us peace." I, obviously, never got the bad feeling. Micah still had the feeling when we got to the hospital and wouldn't let go of the seat to get out of the car. I said the prayer again, "Lord, give him peace," and his daddy picked him up out of the car and Micah began to calm. By the time we got to the Outpatient Surgery Center, Micah was smiling again. We registered him and they called us back to a room. Thank you God for the Holy Spirit who is our Comforter.

After a little while, they came back to get him to put on a surgery gown. They told me he could leave on his underwear and socks but he needed to take off everything else. Well, we took him to the hospital in his pajamas and when I went to take them off he grabbed ahold of his pants. I asked him what was wrong and he informed me that he had slept "commando" last night. Oh great!!! I prepared for everything, a toy to take into surgery with him, refrigerator and freezer stocked with post-surgery treats, notes of questions to ask Dr. Aland that I didn't realize I needed to ask until after Isabella's surgery, everything, but I did not prepare for THIS! The nurses where nice enough to allow him to leave his pajama pants on. My son's dignity spared!!!

About 30 minutes before the surgery they came in and gave him a liquid sedative to calm him before they took him. It helps them stay calm, then when they take them to surgery they put them out with gas. Once he is out they give him the IV. When we went through this with Isabella she was fine when the medicine first starting taking effect, she got a little goofy and the calm. But, after a little bit she started crying and freaking out. And when I say freaking out I mean she started crying and talking incoherently. She got very frustrated because she could talk. The only thing I could make out was, "Pray Mommy Pray!" It scared me and it was all I could do not to break down crying in front of her. So, with Micah I mentioned this to the anesthesiologist. He informed me that children can only handle the effects for about 15-20 before they begin to "freak out" so I requested that he wait until 20 minutes before they were ready for him to give him the "cocktail". They gladly agreed and it was a much better experience.

They wheeled Micah out and my darling husband had a hard time because Micah was reaching for his hand as they wheeled him away. You know, it is one of the many moments in a child's life when a parent watches a child go somewhere where the parent has no control and all you can do is pray that God will bring your child back to you safe and sound. It is a very scary and helpless feeling. Even though the surgery only lasts about 30 minutes, it is the longest 30 minutes of our lives. The clock just ticks away. It's terrible.

After about 45 minutes the doctor came and said that he was fine. The surgery went great and we will be able to see him in a few minutes when he wakes up from the anesthesia. A few minutes later we are reunited with our little guy and have to wait about 2 hours so they can monitor his vital signs and get him drinking.

We were home by lunchtime. The rest of the day he did great. He drank alot of gatorade, ate popsicles and jell-o, and played video games with his daddy. He is taking pain medication and antibiotics. Now the healing begins.

No comments:

My Little Blessings

  • Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
  • Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker