Friday, January 23, 2009

Tonsillectomy- Day 2

Ok, so last night we had a pretty good night. One thing I am doing different this time is I am waking him up every four hours to get him to take his pain medicine. With Isabella I would just let her sleep and when she woke up I would give it to her. The bad thing about that is she would wake up in REALLY bad pain and getting her to take the medicine was difficult. I woke Micah up both times last night, 10:30 and 2:30. He did pretty good. The hardest part was waking him up enough to get him to realize what I am doing. I mix the HORRIBLE tasting medicine with a little bit of gatorade, which seems to cut the strong alcohol smell and taste. The other thing I have to do it say, "On your mark, get set, GO!" I did this once and now I have to do it every time!!!! It's so cute. He is such a boy!

He woke of this morning pretty early so we watched tv and he started to get hungry. I made him a scrambled egg but he couldn't eat it. We tried jell-o but that didn't work either. I gave him a little ice cream and he ate a little of it and then said he was getting sick to his stomach. We went through this with Isabella so I was prepared. With Isabella we got a anti-nausea medicine in suppository form, well she was not about to let me give that to her and who could blame her. I don't know anyone over the age of 3 who would "allow" someone to give them a suppository. So, she chose not to take her pain medicine and only take Tylenol since the pain meds made her sick to her stomach. So, with Micah I got a liquid prescription just in case he got nauseous. How could I have known that it would be electric green in color, not a very appetizing color when you are nauseous, even if it doesn't taste bad. After arguing with him about the color I gave him an ultimatum, green liquid or suppository. Being that he is much more rational than his older sister, he opted for the liquid, took it like a champ, and felt better within 15 minutes. So, if you or your child EVER have your tonsils out, make sure you ask for liquid Phenergan to combat nausea.

After he took all of his meds, he was almost back to his old self again. He ate really good, including a Nutragrain bar. My sister-in-law and I even caught him breakdancing to High School Musical musical. He is unbelievable really because his sister and his 16 year old cousin, who had hers done last week, were both in bed for 4 days and back in bed on day 6. Either he is like his mother and has just a very high pain tolerance or he is going to hit a wall at some point. We are hoping for the first, preparing for the latter.

All in all, day two has not been so bad thanks to pain and anti-nausea medicine.

No comments:

My Little Blessings